Worrying about your children - does it ever end?

23:15 Unknown 6 Comments

Since I got pregnant, with Oscar, in May 2009, I've done so much worrying about him. At first I worried about something going wrong with the pregnancy. At our 20 week scan, we were told that his kidneys were dilated, so until the next scan I worried about that (he was fine). Then I worried about something happening in the run up to the birth (what if I slip in the ice or fall down the stairs?!). Then I worried during the actual birth (which was very stressful).

When Oscar was born I then worried about SIDS and something happening to him. When we were weaning I worried about him choking, the list goes on...

Three years after having Oscar I had our twins, again a whole load of worry during pregnancy and beyond...

Recently, I seem to be hearing lots of horrible stories involving things happening to children. It seems like every week there is a story about some freak accident, a child going missing, or you hear of a horrid story of something that's happened to a friend of a friend's child. And it makes me worry. A LOT!

I seem to be worrying much more recently. We are so lucky that all of our three children are healthy, but what if this doesn't continue...? Surely having three, means that the chance of something happening to one of them is higher...? I think we probably all have this thought at some point, but we have to bury it away, or I don't think we'd ever leave the house.

I've always worried when any of my three go in someone else's car or stay overnight somewhere. My brain goes through all the things that could possibly happen (I have a very active imagination) and then I push the horrible dark thoughts away and try and get on with something else.

I'm hoping I'm not the only one who does this? I wonder if this (often) irrational fear and worry about something happening to our children ever goes away, or whether it's something that mother nature has installed in us to protect our offspring?


I'd love to hear your thoughts?

I appreciate this is a bit of a random post, but is something I just needed to get off my chest!!

J xx

The Twinkle Diaries

6 comments :

  1. It does get better, although you start to worry about different things as they get older!
    I definitely worried more when mine were babies and when I was breastfeeding (must be some hormonal influence) and I do worry more about the youngest as he seems more helpless (though it may be because his brother is always trying to kill him somehow!).
    I am a natural worrier and naturally anxious, but then people see me as relaxed as I often force myself to come across as calm and relaxed even if the s**t is hitting the fan. To me there is no point in worrying too much as it is no help. Often as well the root cause is something unrelated or a feeling that has been stirred up from an event in the past. Have a look into 'mindfullness' theories - makes a lot of sense in helping calming worries. twinklytuesday (I can't seem to use the hash tag as my baby has been mashing his paws on my computer keypad!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right about often the root cause being unrelated. I'll look into mindfulness theories. There's a big push on it at my work place for staff wellbeing and I've never really got on with it, but perhaps need to look into it in more detail!
      Thanks for commenting! x

      Delete
  2. I'm totally with you. We were talking to a friend recently about childhood meningitis and I started freaking out (internally) thinking about what on earth I'd do if that ever happened. I worry about all sorts of things. I check them each night before I go to bed just to see that they're breathing. Sadly, this worry, I think this is part and parcel of being a mother!! Thanks so much for linking up with #TwinklyTuesday x

    Caro | www.thetwinklediaries.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do that too - check them before going to bed! I read an article yesterday about a little boy dying of meningitis after developing a horrid cough and then this morning Henry wakes up with a horrid cough, so was freaking out!! He's fine though! It's very stressful being a parent! x

      Delete
  3. You're not alone! Mine are 8, 5, & 5, and I still worry. I don't worry so much about their health (maybe I will now that you've got me thinking about it . . .), but I worry about possible accidents. I try not to tell them my irrational concerns so as not to make THEM anxious. Found your post on #TwinklyTuesday

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Apologies if I've got you worrying about potential health issues! I think the key is that it's important that we are thankful for what we've got x

      Delete