"You're In" - I'm running the London Marathon!

10:41 Unknown 2 Comments

If you're a regular reader, you'll know that I recently completed my second half marathon. Despite struggling a bit with the training I managed to shave 11 mins off my previous time - finishing in 2hrs 14mins! I enjoyed the run and the training was worth it, but I was glad it was over.

A few days later the results of the London Marathon were due to be realised. You receive either a 'You're In' magazine or a 'Sorry' magazine. I'd entered the ballot, for the second year running, back in May. The chances of getting a ballot place are so slim I thought I'd be entering for a few years before getting a place. It's on my bucket list as something I want to once in my lifetime, ideally when the kids are a bit older. Simon ran it a couple of years ago and the atmosphere was amazing!

So, the day before I got my magazine I was having a chat with my Mum, which was along the lines of "I really hope I don't get in as I'm really not sure how I'd manage to do the training!"; "I won't get a place anyway, so there's no need to worry". 

My magazine arrived on a Thursday. My Mum is usually at my house with the twins on a Thursday as I'm at work. I arrived home. Simon's Mum was also at our house as she'd picked Oscar up from school and taken him out for dinner. I walked into the kitchen and there it was, the magazine in a clear plastic wrapper, 'You're In' screaming from the cover! OH MY GOD I'm in the London Marathon!! 


I think I probably screamed a little! Both mums started laughing - they'd already seen it! I experienced a whole mix of emotions - excitement, fear, pride, joy, shock! I rang Simon (he'd also entered but his magazine hadn't arrived yet) he couldn't quite believe it! I then let a few people know. I couldn't and still can't quite believe that me, the girl who hated PE and until a few years ago couldn't run to the end of the road without almost dying, was going to be running the London Marathon!

That night I decided to be practical and think about training. The magazine I'd received suggests starting the proper training in January with three runs per week. So, my plan is to improve my all-round fitness up until Jan and then start the proper training, working up to 22 miles, in Jan. Whilst I'm currently not bad at the running I don't do anything else, so I'm planning to do pilates, spinning and swimming to try and strengthen my whole body and to help avoid running injuries.

Speaking of injuries, I hurt my achillies running the half so although I wanted to maintain my half marathon fitness I've had to take a bit of time off running to let it heal. Although I've not been particularly happy about this it had forced me to go spinning, swimming and to the gym this week!

Simon didn't get a place in the ballot, although we're hoping he's going to get a charity place. I really hope we can run it together, despite the difficulty we'll have juggling training with three children and jobs! 

I'm planning on blogging about my marathon journey here, so keep an eye out for updates. Any tips or advice is also very welcome!

J xx

2 comments :

  1. Huge congratulations!

    I had the same reaction when I saw mine! This is only the second time I'd applied, so like you, I didn't expect to get in either.

    I completely my first marathon this year, but I'm also worried about the long runs etc, but equally excited.

    Good luck with your training! It'll be hard at times, but so worth it on the day.

    SJ x

    www.poweredbycakes.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you.

    My foot still isn't 100% so trying to make sure it's better before the serious training begins in Jan.

    Good luck with the training too.

    Jemma x

    ReplyDelete