Finding a balance as a working mum

21:11 Unknown 6 Comments

 
Those of you who are a regular visitor here (thank you by the way), will know that I work part time in marketing.

I currently work 28 hours a week. I work 9.30am - 3pm, from home, on a Monday and then usual hours in the office on a Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday. For us it's the perfect balance. It ensures we have the money for 'nice things', such as holidays; satisfies my own need to maintain my career (and have some adult conversation!); and allows me to make precious memories with my little ones.
I don't job share, so I'm doing the same job I used to do full time in 28hrs. This obviously takes a bit of juggling, so I thought I'd share some of ways I make this arrangement work for me.

  1. On Friday's (my day off) I turn my work phone off and make sure I am fully focused on my little ones.
  2. I rarely have a proper lunch break - it's important to get my work done during working hours.
  3. I nearly always leave work on time (having a train to catch is a good way to ensure you're out of the door!).
  4. I don't feel obliged to stay late and don't apologise for not doing so.
  5.  Although I am flexible - if I'm needed at an early morning/evening event I try to arrange childcare but then I will ensure I take the time back - give and take is important.
  6. I get everyone's clothes ready the night before, so we're ready to rock n roll in the morning.
  7. When I'm at work, I'm at work. When I'm at home, I'm at home - it's important to find a way to turn off.
  8. Oscar has school dinners! It's one less thing to have to sort out the night before.
  9. I plan my meals in advance so that I can ensure we have everything in stock for the week ahead - no having to nip to the supermarket on the way home.
  10. Before I went back to work I made sure I was 100% happy with childcare arrangements that way I don't need to be worrying when I'm at work.
  11. I have a 'Plan B' for childcare – it's important to ensure you have a good support network in place. I have a lovely group of local mum friends who help with school drop offs/pick-ups or help during the holidays. I always try and reciprocate whenever possible.
  12. I make sure I allow myself some 'me time'. I try and go running two or three times a week. Or go for the occasional dinner/drinks with friends. When you have kids and work you sometimes can feel that when you're not at work you should always be with your kids, but making time for you is important too.
  13. Me and hubby try and have a 'date night' once a month – it's important to give your relationship a bit of TLC every now and again!
Most of the time it all works well, but occasionally it can all go a bit pear shaped. During those times I just have to (have a glass of wine and) remind myself that I'm trying my best!

I'd love to hear how you achieve the perfect balance…

J xx
The List

6 comments :

  1. You and I appear to be the same person. We have an identical work pattern, role, childcare etc etc. Are we related?? Haha Great post by the way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha ha ha! I love finding people who share a similar life. Love your blog by the way! x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post huni and I am glad you have found something that works for you. Thanks so much for linking up to #TheList x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you! It works most of the time... x

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are total superwoman! How do you have a job and a family and run???!!!!! Wow - amazing, you really do know how to manage it all and hats off to you. It is so important to get the right work/life balance :) Jess xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm not at all! I'm normally juggling a million thing and sometimes if works, other times it all goes horribly wrong! It helps that I like to be busy. I think you're fab for staying at home with your little ones - it's exhausting! I feel like work gives me a little break. I don't find time to blog as much as I'd like, but I think most bloggers feel like that. I haven't done much running lately either... xx

    ReplyDelete